Sunday, March 29, 2009

Candidate Response: First Ward, Eugene Fregetto

Click the title to read the full response.



1. Is the corner of Miner and Lee, site of the Choo Choo and Masonic Temple buildings, an appropriate place to build a police station and an appropriate use of TIF funds?

There are several important aspects to this questions:
1. I do not believe that the police department should be moved to the other end of the block.
2. I am impressed with the present owner of the Choo Choo and how she has brought business back to that restaurant along with a lot of treasured memories. I will support the community’s desire to retain the Choo Choo.

2. Do you believe the Des Plaines Theater has the potential to act as a catalyst to attract more activity downtown?

I was very disappointed that the city did not take the opportunity to buy the Des Plaines Theater, because it has the potential to act as a catalyst to attract more activity in the downtown area. I need more particulars regarding the theater that is in the Masonic Temple building, but I believe that Des Plaines has a lot of artistic talent and providing an environment that is artist-friendly could also attract more activity downtown. Could Des Plaines become the center for artists in the Northwest suburbs?

3. How do you think downtown can be made a more appealing and productive place?

The answer to this question will come from both the residents of Des Plaines and the business owners. I will openly and aggressively seek input from both residents and business owners, especially the retailers who are running successful businesses downtown. If we all work together, I’m confident we will create a very attractive downtown as well as ideas for the development of our other retail areas. Consequently, I do not have any preconceived notions of any specific development ideas other than retention of the four businesses as stated above. Instead, I remain open to the ideas and recommendations of residents and business owners, I will use my skills to express those ideas and recommendations in both written and verbal form to other council members and to city officials. My only agenda item it to help residents and businesses create a downtown area that they will be proud of.

4. Do you support the creation of a Heritage Commission and preservation ordinance to identify, evaluate, and protect Des Plaines’ historic resources?

In general, yes. However, I will critically examine any proposal to create a new commission and/or ordinance. Creating new organizations and new laws are the most important duties of elected officials. Conversely, I will support every effort to “identify, evaluate, and protect Des Plaines’ historical resources.” If creating a commission and passing an ordinance is the best way to accomplish those goals, then I would support both initiatives.

5. Do you support pursuing listings on the National Register of Historic Places for Des Plaines historic properties and districts, making them eligible for Federal tax credit programs?

Yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please be civil and constructive!